Overview of the role
The 2nd Line Wintel Engineer will work closely with clients in the delivery of technical support services. The role will require the engineer to gain an in-depth understanding of the client’s technical environment in order to plan and enable CSI to be proactive in our approach to managing the service.
As important as a having well rounded technical skills and experience, is the ability to build working relationships with both clients and colleagues, in turn supporting the company’s commitment to achieving high standards of client satisfaction and service quality.
Customer service is key as a 2nd Line Engineer. The role requires a highly motivated self-starter, who enjoys constant challenges and problem-solving. Regular travel to customer and data centres will be required.
- Provide 2nd line support to client’s technical functions ensuring all incidents are reported and rectified in line with agreed SLAs whether these have been identified by the client or by the company’s monitoring systems. Identify the appropriate 3rd party support required to resolve issues where they cannot be managed internally.
- Work closely with the client and internal stakeholders to plan and ensure the successful delivery of technical changes as required.
- Works closely with service delivery manager for the account, to ensure a consistent approach to client satisfaction and enable the growth of business for CSI.
- Act as an escalation point and work with the client and both internal resources and external 3rd parties to resolve technical faults as they arise and keep the client up to date with progress as required until these faults are resolved.
- Support the drive to improve service delivery by contributing to the identification and resolution of incidents and problems as they arise.
- Review on a daily basis the Company’s Change Management process to ensure that scheduled changes are organised effectively and deployed in a timely manner directing the resources in a way that helps to achieve this.
- Liaise with Service Managers as appropriate to ensure they are fully updated on any significant issues that affect the performance of the service provided to their clients and what action is being taken to bring it back online.
- Provide coaching, guidance, and support to the team to ensure it delivers against the expectations of the clients and the company.
- Provide out of hours cover as required to deal with client’s Priority 1 incidents or other planned out of hours work. keep the client informed as necessary and complete any scheduled changes for clients.
- Report any actual or potential security risks or incidents you become aware of to your line manager and, if required, the Security Manager.
- Build and maintain effective and productive working relationships with colleagues, clients, and third parties as required to support the company’s values.
- Use your experience and expertise to support the IT Delivery team and beyond your own function where appropriate.
- Identify areas for service improvement and efficiencies
Professional / Personal Skills and Experience
- Has a track record of delivering success in a similar role within an IT or professional services business.
- Has in-depth knowledge and operational understanding of the following technologies Windows operating systems, VMware, Microsoft SQL Server configuration and administration, Exchange, AD experience and a good understanding of LAN and WAN network technologies
- Significant experience of Incident, Problem and Change Management from an operational perspective gained through ITIL v3 experience.
- Is client and solution-focused and is prepared to go the extra mile to resolve client issues to their satisfaction without compromising the viability of the contract.
- Has the ability to listen effectively, to diagnose a client’s problem and find an appropriate solution.
- Capable of being highly responsive where required, with a strong sense of urgency and a commitment to follow through.
- An effective communicator who engages with the business and makes a valuable contribution to its success beyond your own function.
- Ability to manage client management through constructive influencing, appropriate push back and mentoring to ensure a successful outcome.
- Shows a strong interest in the technologies the company uses and continually develops knowledge of those and new ones for the benefit of the business and its clients.
- Ability to work under pressure and communicate effectively at all levels.
- Microsoft Office advanced user (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel).
Key Attributes to be successful in the role
- Putting clients first whilst promoting CSI values
- Having client service at the heart of all you do
- Delivering results
- Managing a changing environment
- Making a personal difference
- Communicating for impact
- Having a Positive attitude
- Enjoys a challenge…!