Overview of role
The Project Manager’s prime responsibility is to ensure that the project delivers the required products and/or services. They must meet the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost, utilising best practice Project Management controls and governance.
In doing this the Project Manager will have customer satisfaction at the heart of what they do and will play an active role in the Operations/PMO team.
Skills & Knowledge
- Has broad knowledge of the company’s products, services, technologies, processes.
- Has (or obtains) detailed knowledge of the products, services, technologies and processes impacted by, or impacting the projects they manage.
- Has in-depth knowledge of planning, resource management and project governance processes.
- Continues to build knowledge through:
- Maintaining relationships with peers, developers, specialists, consultants etc.;
- Industry best practice;
- Creating and maintaining relationships with, suppliers, partners and customers as applicable;
- Experience in managing projects impacting different products, services, technologies, processes.
- Understands and contributes to the current position and future strategies for project management, methodology and approach.
- Has detailed knowledge of the principles of project management methods as employed at CSI, for example, PRINCE2, Agile PM, MSP and/or SAP’s ASAP Focus Project Management methodology and ITIL.
Project Scope Management
- Ensure effective initiation of projects – Manage collation of requirements, estimation process, stakeholder analysis, business case analysis and production of Project Initiation Document (PID).
- Provide input to Line Management/Resourcing Manager in the building of project teams by securing appropriate resources for the client/project.
- Identify the required project deliverables in conjunction with the project team.
- Manage the production of the required deliverables to time, quality and cost within the tolerances set for the project.
- Manage third party deliverables, virtual project teams and contract staff.
- Plan the project, in line with the programme and contractual obligation, agree on a plan with partners and suppliers, and monitor and control on an on-going basis.
- Agree on the technical and quality strategy with appropriate members of the Project Management Office and team members.
- Change Management – Understand, facilitate and manage the technical, physical, environmental and cultural change management needs of the project in conjunction with the wider technology and business evolution programs.
- Ensure the overall direction and integrity of the project.
- Take responsibility for overall progress and use of resources, and initiate corrective action where necessary.
- Liaise with stakeholder and related projects/work packages to ensure that scope of project and deliverables are fully agreed.
- Be responsible for project assurance, tight control of scope through change control and any required Configuration Management.
- Manage business and project risks, including the development of mitigation and contingency plans, maintenance of risk and issue logs with appropriate levels of meeting and escalation.
- Prepare Project Completion Report.
- Report RAG status and manage internal reviews/project boards as appropriate.
- Ensure that all required reporting is updated as required, notably Sharepoint and Navision.
Manage Commercial & Strategic Impact of the Project
- Accountable for project financial control – Monitor and manage project finance and processes, ensuring time spent is correctly entered and approved.
- Champion appropriate project solutions based on cost/benefit analysis and recommendation from the project team.
- Work effectively with demanding customers, understanding and supporting their business goals whilst maintaining the CSI strategic and commercial position.
Build and Manage the Project Team
- Support the project team by facilitating the building of strong relationships and trust within the team.
- Direct and motivate the project team by creating a clear, shared sense of purpose and keeping them informed of all project plans and issues.
- Build strong internal relationships with key stakeholders and delivery functions.
- Ensure that project teams store project documentation in the relevant repository, notably Sharepoint.
Measurement and Improvement
- Prepare and communicate the lessons learned for each project managed, and update the central lessons learned log.
- Understands and monitors measures related to the effectiveness and efficiency of project management.
- Recommends and drives improvement actions in line with CSI’s continuous improvement requirements.
- Undertake any other task requested by your line manager related to providing a benefit to the team or to CSI whether or not this falls directly within your main responsibilities.
- Play an active role in the PMO department at CSI and regularly make and implement suggestions for improvements related to the scope of the role, the team or the organisation.
- Undertake your role within the policies and practices expected of staff at CSI, and actively demonstrate compliance with the Mission and Values at all times.
- Professional qualification (degree, equivalent or significant industry experience).
- Proven project management experience.
- Has successfully managed projects with all of the dimensions outlined above.
- Detailed knowledge of PRINCE2, Agile PM and MSP or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of ITIL.
- Excellent inter-personal and communications skills.
- Good working knowledge of a range of infrastructure and software services and products, particularly related to IBM.
- Experience of delivering projects to end clients for a managed services or cloud services company.
- Good facilitation skills – able to run workshops and external project meetings.
- The ability to manage conflict and manage customer expectation.
- Ability to quickly assimilate knowledge from outside own area of expertise.